mboost-dp1

FB og data

Gå til bund
Gravatar #1 - arne_v
12. sep. 2022 14:56
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/facebook-user-data_...

Facebook and its parent company Meta have gobs of sensitive user data from tracking people across the internet, no clear idea where it’s all stored, who precisely has access to it, or even what information it contains.

That’s one top-level takeaway from a newly unsealed court transcript featuring the testimony of two senior Facebook engineers who were enlisted by a U.S. district court to help clarify the company’s data retention practices.

The testimony of Eugene Zarashaw, a Facebook engineering director, and Steven Elia, a software engineering manager, was first reported by The Intercept.
A court-appointed special master, Daniel Garrie, has the unenviable job of determining where Facebook stores personal data in its 55 subsystems ― which neither Zarashaw nor Elia could really answer.

Presented with a list of those systems, neither engineer recognized what they all were, let alone what data they collected.
Asked where Facebook stores a user’s on-platform activity, data obtained from third parties about users’ activities outside of Facebook, and other inferred user data, again, neither knew the answer.

“I don’t believe there’s a single person that exists who could answer that question,” Zarashaw told the court. “It would take a significant team effort to even be able to answer that question.”

Zarashaw added that Facebook tends to build pieces of infrastructure, “and then just leave them running for anybody at the company to use.” Other teams then “end up using other pieces of infrastructure as underlying storage,” making it difficult to fully account for who is doing what.

“It would take multiple teams on the ad side to track down exactly the ― where the [user] data flows,” Zarashaw added. “I would be surprised if there’s even a single person that can answer that narrow question conclusively.”

What’s more, Zarashaw told the court Facebook has a “somewhat strange engineering culture” in that it often doesn’t generate documentation for others to refer to later.

“Effectively the code is its own design document,” the engineer said. “For what it’s worth, this [was] terrifying to me when I first joined as well.”

The 15-page document compared Facebook’s user data to a bottle of ink that’s been emptied into a body of water.

“You pour that ink into a lake of water (our open data systems; our open culture) ... and it flows ... everywhere. How do you put that ink back in the bottle? How do you organize it again, such that it only flows to the allowed places in the lake?”

Gå til top

Opret dig som bruger i dag

Det er gratis, og du binder dig ikke til noget.

Når du er oprettet som bruger, får du adgang til en lang række af sidens andre muligheder, såsom at udforme siden efter eget ønske og deltage i diskussionerne.

Opret Bruger Login